Aberdeen v Celtic

Aberdeen Score Injury Time Equaliser To Draw Against Celtic

Aberdeen took a deserved point at Pittodrie with a late penalty from Lewis Ferguson, his second of the game – the character from our players seeing out the match to take a point against Celtic in a three-all thriller.

It was a definite foul on Sam Cosgrove in the build up to Leigh Grrifths goal which put Celtic ahead 3-2.

And there was a clear push on Ryan Edmondson from Shane Duffy which forced him off just before the hour mark.

The Dons kept on battling after going behind but Connor McLennan was brought down the box in injury time for Lewis Ferguson to fire in the equaliser in the 92nd minute.

Ahead of the match kicking-off, there was a minutes silence in tribute to former Dons manager, Ebbe Skovdahl who sadly passed away earlier in the week and I’m sure the Red Army will pay their respects, once we get back to Pittodrie.  The flags at Pittodrie flew at half-mast in respect to Ebbe.

Aberdeen Flag Half-Mast
Flags at Pittodrie flew at half-mast to respect former Dons manager Ebbe Skovdhal who passed away earlier in the week.

There was one change to the Aberdeen side that beat Hamilton 4-2 on Tuesday.  Ross McCrorie came in to the starting line-up at the expense of Scott Wright who dropped to the bench.

Both Jonny Hayes and Ryan Edmondson made it to the starting eleven after suffering knocks in the Hamilton game.

Celtic were first to threaten the Aberdeen goal in the 8th minute when Olivier Ntcham fired a 25 yard drive that clipped the far post of Joe Lewis’ goal.

Callum McGregor was booked in the 11th minute after catching Ryan Hedges on the ankle with a late challenge.

Dylan McGeouch went off injured with a groin problem in the 25th minute and was replaced by Connor McLennan.

Just shortly after Mohamed Elyounoussi picked up a Ryan Christie corner unmarked, but his header was cleared.

The conditions in the first half weren’t great for either side, with both sides cancelling each other out.

But it was Aberdeen that went ahead in the 42nd minute.  Marley Watkins delivered a through ball into the box.  Lewis Ferguson ran to pick it up but was taken down in the box by Ntcham.

Lewis fired home from the spot-kick for his eighth goal of the season.

Not long after the second half started it was Celtic who equalised through a Calum McGregor goal in the 52nd minute – firing his low drive beyond Lewis.

Ryan Edmondson went off injuted after a rough challenge from Shane Duffy in the 57th minute, and Sam Cosgrove returned for his first match of the season.

His return was noticed.  He was in the thick of the action within minutes, unleashing a 12-yard shot at Scott Bain.  Ryan Hedges followed up the shot and bundled the ball home with his knee from three yards to put the Dons ahead, 2-1.

Celtic sub Leigh Griffiths equalised for Celtic in the 75th minute, but Aberdeen should have been awarded a free-kick for a foul on Cosgrove in the build up to the Celtic goal.

And just two minutes later, Celtic went ahead after Tommie Hoban fouled Elyounoussi in the box as he tried to win the ball.

Willie Collum pointed to the penalty spot and Ryan Christie stepped up to put Celtic ahead.

A blow for the Dons, but the action wasn’t over after we grabbed a stoppage time equaliser after Connor McLennan was brought down in the box by Calum McGregor, at the same time as Cosgrove fired against the bar.  Willie Collum brought play back for the foul and awarded the penalty.

Lewis Ferguson stepped up and slotted home his second penalty of the game and his third goal of the week to make it 3-3.

The teams do it all over against at Hampden Park next Sunday in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final – and Celtic are definitely there for the taking.

Derek McInnes commented on the match: “I’m just glad we got something out of it because it was no more than we deserved. We said at half-time we know Celtic won’t lie down. I’m disappointed with a couple of the goals.

“The penalty decisions, the referee got them all right. Big decisions he got right. The players never gave it up and they deserve wholeheartedly their point.”


Date Time League Season Full Time
25th October 2020 12:00 pm Scottish Premiership 2020-21 90'


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsPossessionOutcome


RefereeFourth OfficialAssistant Referees
Willie CollumAlan NewlandsCalum Spence
Dougie Potter


1Joe Lewis Goalkeeper
2Shay Logan Defender
3Tommie Hoban Defender
4Andrew Considine Defender
5Greg Leigh Defender
8Funso Ojo Midfielder
10Niall McGinn Forward
11Ryan Hedges Forward 65'
14Ash Taylor Defender
15Dylan McGeouch 18 Midfielder
16Sam Cosgrove 32 Forward
17Jonny Hayes Midfielder
18Connor McLennan 15 Forward
19Lewis Ferguson Midfielder 43', 92'
25Scott Wright 50 Forward
32Ryan Edmondson 16 Forward
33Matty Kennedy Midfielder
40Ross McCrorie Midfielder 51'
43Gary Woods Goalkeeper
50Marley Watkins 25 Midfielder


3Greg Taylor Defender
4Shane Duffy Defender
8Scott Brown 21 Midfielder
9Leigh Griffiths 10 Forward 76'
10Albian Ajeti 9 Forward
11Patryk Klimala Forward
12Ismaila Soro Midfielder
14David Turnbull 18 Midfielder
17Ryan Christie Midfielder 78'
18Tom Rogic 14 Midfielder
21Olivier Ntcham 8 Midfielder
27Mohamed Elyounoussi Midfielder
29Scott Bain Goalkeeper
30Jeremie Frimpong Defender
35Kristoffer Ajer Defender
42Callum McGregor Midfielder 52'
56Anthony Ralston Defender
57Stephen Welsh Defender
65Conor Hazard Goalkeeper
93Diego Laxalt Defender