Kilmarnock v Aberdeen

McGinn and McLennan Goals Earn Dons Draw At Kilmarnock

Aberdeen came from two goals down to secure a draw against Kilmarnock – maintaining our eight year unbeaten run against the Ayrshire club.

Derek McInnes made two changes to the starting line-up that beat St Mirren in our Scottish Cup Quarter Final on Saturday evening.

Scott McKenna has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a hamstring tear, Michael Devlin came in as his replacement.

Dean Campbell was suspended after his sending off in the 2-1 loss to Ross County at Pittodrie with Connor McLennan coming in for him.

Aberdeen had the opening chance in the third minute when Niall McGinn hit a powerful shot that went just wide of goal.

Six minutes later, Rory McKenzie raced towards goal and fired in a drive from 25 yards out, which Joe Lewis pushed out wide.

Shortly after, Kilmarnock were denied by the woodwork when Eamonn Brophy shot a low shot across the face of goal, but his effort hit the far off post.

In the 17th minute, Kilmarnock were awarded a soft penalty after Rory McKenzie struck Ash Taylor’s arm, with ref Alan Newlands pointing to the spot.  Eamonn Brophy stepped up to take the penalty and sent Lewis the wrong way firing the ball low to the right.

Killie went two up, with Greg Kiltie on target from the edge of the box after Ash Taylor failed to make the tackle on the Kilmarnock forward.

Aberdeen got their shit together, with Connor McLennan and Lewis Ferguson making a quick passing move on the right, McLennan fired a cross into the box which Niall McGinn picked up and unleashed a half volley to make it 2-1.

Early into the second half, Matty Kennedy quickly went down the left and put in a cross to the back post, the ball met Connor McLennan who headed in off the ground to make it all square.

Kilmarnock’s Stephen O’Donnell went close on the 60th minute but his shot was saved by Joe Lewis.

Eamonn Brophy fired a 30 yard effort, which Joe blocked at his near post.

In the 75th minute, Joe saved the day again after pushing away a Brophy free-kick.

The pressure from Kilmarnock continued till the end, in the 82nd minute, saved a header from Kabamba.

The Dons stuck it out to get the draw, but fall further behind Motherwell in third, who beat Ross County this evening 4-1.

Following the match Derek McInnes said,  “The first goal, for me, is not a penalty. It’s hit Ash Taylor in the back. He’s turned round and kept his hands and arms right in and I’m disappointed the referee has given a penalty for that.

“It’s a good point in the end after being two goals down.”


Date Time League Season Full Time Attendance
4th March 2020 7:45 pm Scottish Premiership 2019-20 90' 4,217


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsPossessionOutcome


2Stephen O’Donnell Defender 80'
5Connor Johnson Defender
7Rory McKenzie Forward
8Gary Dicker Midfielder
9Eamonn Brophy Forward 17'
10Greg Kiltie Forward 23'
12Larry Branescu Goalkeeper
14Niko Hämäläinen Defender
17Stuart Findlay Defender
19Kirk Broadfoot Defender
22Ross Millen Defender
24Jan Koprivec Goalkeeper
25Harvey St Clair Forward
26Dario Del Fabro Defender
27Nicke Kabamba Forward
29Chris Burke Forward
33Ally Taylor Defender
52Kyle Connell Forward


1Joe Lewis Goalkeeper
2Shay Logan Defender 65'
4Andrew Considine Defender
6Michael Devlin Defender
8Ronald Hernández Defender
9Curtis Main Forward
10Niall McGinn 11 Forward 38'
11Ryan Hedges 10 Forward
14Ash Taylor Defender 17'
17Dylan McGeouch Midfielder
18Connor McLennan 25 Forward 50'
19Lewis Ferguson Midfielder 64'
20Tomáš Černý Goalkeeper
21Jon Gallagher Forward
22Funso Ojo Midfielder
23Matty Kennedy Midfielder 80'
25Bruce Anderson 18 Forward
32Jack Mackenzie Defender